News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Skagit Commando Heads

Started by haresear, October 21, 2017, 11:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

I am looking at getting an outfit for fishing streamers on rivers hŕre and in NZ and maybe using that same outfit  for pike instead of a heavy conventional pike outfit.
Any thoughts? Has anyone any experience of skagit lines?

Alex

Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

Hi Alex, The RIO Outbound short is a very capable line that will put streamers out as well as smaller Pike flies. Comes in a variety of sizes and is a nice line to use. I'd say it works well with stiffer tip or mid to tip action rods.

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on October 21, 2017, 11:47:20 PM
Hi Alex, The RIO Outbound short is a very capable line that will put streamers out as well as smaller Pike flies. Comes in a variety of sizes and is a nice line to use. I'd say it works well with stiffer tip or mid to tip action rods.

Thanks Jim, I will check that out.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Laxdale

https://www. /shop.html#!/Barrio-SLX-Fly-Lines/p/39513147/category=10329715

The above line will chuck any streamer you wish to cast.
I used the 8wt all summer and was casting all sorts of heavy lumps with it, sometimes with a 10ft fast sink polyleader in the mix.

haresear

Thanks Laxdale. Another to look at. :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

corsican dave

if you want to chuck out really big chickens, the Rio Pike WF10F is superb. roll casts a treat, too. only used this with a a Sage Pike #10, so can't comment otherwise.

the Barrio SLX is a contender for sure and the Rio Outbound Short has been a known performer for years
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

haresear

I have taken the expensive plunge and invested in a micro skagit outfit for trout. We'll see how that goes before throwing more money at pike fishing :)

The line I opted for is the OPST Micro Skagit Commando 200 grains. It packs the weight of 10 yards of #5 line into a chunky projectile only about 13 feet long :)

I fully expect it to be like casting a brick attached to a rope :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on October 22, 2017, 09:19:53 PM
It packs the weight of 10 yards of #5 line into a chunky projectile only about 13 feet long :)

That would not be my first choice for Berry Creek, but it will certainly deliver a size 18 Tup's Indispensable  most efficiently

haresear

Quote from: admin on October 22, 2017, 09:48:24 PM
That would not be my first choice for Berry Creek, but it will certainly deliver a size 18 Tup's Indispensable  most efficiently

:lol: :lol:

It might be the only way to get a "fly" out safely in a nor' wester Fred.

Alex
Protect the edge.

MorayFisher

Quote from: haresear on October 22, 2017, 09:19:53 PM
I have taken the expensive plunge and invested in a micro skagit outfit for trout. We'll see how that goes before throwing more money at pike fishing :)

The line I opted for is the OPST Micro Skagit Commando 200 grains. It packs the weight of 10 yards of #5 line into a chunky projectile only about 13 feet long :)

I fully expect it to be like casting a brick attached to a rope :lol:

Alex

How have you got on with the OPST Skagit Alex?
I got one this summer and had hoped for great things from it but have really struggled with it. It feels way to heavy for my #5 rods so I even tried it on a stiff #7 but couldn't get on with it at all.
Watched all the OPST videos where it all looks so easy!

John

Go To Front Page