News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How many rods do you use? (note: USE not own)

Started by Wildfisher, September 06, 2006, 05:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many rods do you use? (note: USE not own)

9 (15.3%)
18 (30.5%)
14 (23.7%)
8 (13.6%)
3 (5.1%)
6 or more
7 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

haresear

QuoteIf you aren't using the 11' for fly fishing why not use that? I have a friend who uses his to trot garden flies on Tweed

I don't agree Sandy.

Float rods have stand-off rings to keep the line off the blank for more effective trotting. Snake rings and similar just create too much friction and pull the float off course, unless you use lots of weight, which is counter productive. The handle and reel fitting on a float rod are also eminently more suitable for the technique, otherwise top-flight coarse anglers would be using fly rods. The handle on a float rod lies against and is supported by the forearm.

I would imagine a full day trotting with an 11' fly rod to be very tiring in comparison (and definitely less efficient) than with a "proper" float rod.

Having said that, Tammy, don't just buy a rod for one day's fishing or you may end up at the same car boot sale as me. :lol:

Give it a go with your existing gear and see if you like it or not.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Arbroath Smokie

Most of the time I use my 25 yr old Sue Burgess Diamondback 10'6"  # 5-8
Recently bought an alltmor 9' # 6-7 but haven't used it yet (a bargain I couldn't resist at ?98) Bought the reel to match also, now that was an even better bargain at ?72- so I bought 3! (spare spools were ?90)

Sodger Muddler

The 4 rods i use regularly are Bloke xl50 10ft #7 ,Bloke 10.5ft 7/8 ,Bloke 11ft #7 ,Sage XP10ft #8  most of my fishing is done from a drifting boat  hence the longer rods .

beaniboy67

all 4 piece

sage XP 9.6 foot #6 - anyboat work or bank
sage VPS 9 foot #5 - looks like its being used for everything nowadays
sage XP 8.6 foot #4 - river fishing and has been used for drys from a boat

the VPS i got last year and its amazing. i do like the XPs and get on well with them most days but the 5 weight VPS i find i want to use all the time now. the length is good for bank fishing and i would say the action is better than the Xp .wee bit softer and more like a real fishing rod. The VPS is basically the old RPL with different whippings and was probably the most popular rod ever made. bought it in a shop in Wales for ?175 half price.

Graeme

I use 2 rods
1. RL Winston BIIX 9'-6" which I use when it's not too windy from the bank and boat
2. B&W 10'-6" 6-8 which I've had for 20 years and use when it's really blowing or when after Sea Trout or Salmon on spate rivers.

I got the Winston last year, from the States, treated myself for my fortieth birthday.  It's an absolute dream to fish with, though it took me a month or two to get used to the action.  I'd recommend them to anyone

greenwell

I was given a Vision 3-zone by my daughter for Xmas. She had been badgering me about what I would buy if I ever decided to get a new rod and I said that I liked the visions that I had previously tried. Never for the life of me thought she was planning to spend ?100+ on my pressie but it seems it was her way of saying thank you for all the 3 and 4am lifts for her and her pals home from weekend nights out in Edinburgh for much of last year. Anyway, I have been using it for winter rainbows since Boxing day and to be honest, despite my liking for cane I find I'm liking this rod more each time I use it and my cane and glass is getting left in the car. A bit of a sea change for me since I haven't really taken to previous carbon rods I've tried in the past but I have to say this particular one has a lot of feel, is very responsive and capable at all distances. It so far has been happy enough with everything from mini lures to buzzers and dries down to s.20's, and both floating and intermediate lines. It's a three piece nine footer for 5-weight lines, seems to be well enough made and finished, but time will tell. Whatever happens I can see it becoming my one rod for everything. Anyone else have one of these? Be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences with it, good or bad.
                                                      It would be a sad day but maybe time to say farewell to those that have served me well for so long. :violin   

Greenwell

Wildfisher

I have had a 10'  #5 Vision 3 zone for a few years now. It's a fine rod. Always my first choice.

haresear

QuoteIt's a three piece nine footer for 5-weight lines, seems to be well enough made and finished, but time will tell. Whatever happens I can see it becoming my one rod for everything. Anyone else have one of these? Be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences with it, good or bad.

I have 4 Vision 3 Zones, including the 9' #5 and the 10' #5.
I think they are great rods and cast really well. They are brilliant roll casting rods in particular. As you say Greenwell, very responsive and nice to play a fish on too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page