News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rods For Small Burns

Started by Wildfisher, March 25, 2007, 12:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteNot sure what you mean Haresear.  W.F. or D.T. depends on a few things mostly casting ability or the job you need the line to do.  W.F.'s are not just a distance line as many people assume.

Likewise Allan. I'm a bit confused as to what you don't get :D

As you say, choice of WF or DT is dependant on the job at hand and the casting (and in my opinion, mending) ability of the angler.

The reason I will often overline a rod, particularly with the WF is to make most of my casting comfortable for me. In other words, assuming we are casting a fly line say 6 to 15m most of the time during the day, we will be able to do this very easily and will be able to load the rod easily for all the wee roll casts and the others we need in an average day.

When I see a fish or a likely spot a long way out, I still have the capability of casting up to around the length of the full line (on a good day), which I personally, couldn't manage with the DT. The difference between my casting ability with the two profiles is probably only a few yards I suppose, but realistically, you don't often get a great deal of room for a backcast, so the WF gets used in most circumstances.

If, on the other hand, I'm fishing a place or a method which pretty definitely doesn't need the longest casts, I'll usually use a DT. For instance, I often, but don't exclusively use a DT for nymphing on rivers. No reason why you shouldn't overline with the DT too, if you're casting short mainly.

Am I just confusing things further? :D

Last minute edit:

Having just re-read the thread, I must apologise. My comments on WF and DT lines were more relevant to bigger rivers rather than wee burns. I'll shut my face now.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page