News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

sedgehogs (not hedgehogs)

Started by col, July 17, 2007, 12:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Im well aware off the versatility of this pattern a good fly for pulling,fished static or as an indicator or figure of eighted, but never really tied this one on or given it any airtime . With all the press this fly has hads of late on the forum ive tied a few (claret, olive and haresear) . How do you prefer to fish them?
Col

just_steven

Hi Col,

Like John says it'll catch static, slow, or stripped. Personally, I've had more success stripping/pulling them than any other method. If you gink them up and pull them quick till they go under then let them pop back up, this can often produce good results.

http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/flydatabase/locationdetail.php?loc=1879

Up in Orkney they're called hedgehogs but down here a lot of folk call them sedgehogs. Is there any reason for this?

Steve

.D.

Quote from: just_steven on July 17, 2007, 03:08:57 PM

Up in Orkney they're called hedgehogs but down here a lot of folk call them sedgehogs. Is there any reason for this?

Steve

Phillistines :teeth;

.D.

.D.

So, the Sedgehog has a hackle, and the Hedgehog doesn't.

Is that the distinction?

And is that distinction lost on most, hence the names are used almost interchangeably? :?

( I don't use either)
Cheers,

.D.

Wildfisher

I may be wrong but I think it was Stan Headley who added a hackle to a hedgehog and renamed it a sedgehog

just_steven

So if I add PT legs, some fritz, and a twinkly bit on its arse is that a different fly or would it just be a hedgehog variant?  :lol:

I would have thought that tying in bunches of deer hair on a hook that slope backwards in a way that resembles a hedgehog would result in that fly being called a hedgehog, regardless of muddled head or hackle or what ever else you do to it?

I know if I had come up with a completely new fly (if that were possible) and named it something, and then someone else added a hackle to it and called it something else and got the credit for it, I would be ever so slightly annoyed.

I'm bitching a bit about this, as the half-hog pattern was reputedly shown to "someone" who then passed it off as his own invention.  :? Which I think is a bit shitey.

Anyway rant over! If it wasn't such a good fly I wouldn't be making a fuss!  :lol:

Steve

.D.

Quote from: just_steven on July 17, 2007, 04:59:03 PM

I'm bitching a bit about this, as the half-hog pattern was reputedly shown to "someone" who then passed it off as his own invention.  :? Which I think is a bit shitey..........

Steve

"someone"

:think2

Whozatthen......?

:stir

.D.

haresear

QuoteUp in Orkney they're called hedgehogs but down here a lot of folk call them sedgehogs. Is there any reason for this?

Steve

Phillistines

.D.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex

Protect the edge.

just_steven

Quote from: .D. on July 17, 2007, 05:13:06 PM

Whozatthen......?

Think his name might have already been mentioned in this thread somewhere...  :wink:

Steve

.D.

Quote from: just_steven on July 17, 2007, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: .D. on July 17, 2007, 05:13:06 PM

Whozatthen......?

Think his name might have already been mentioned in this thread somewhere...  :wink:

Steve

Shame on you, Fred : stealing Stan Headley's idea, then revolutionizing fly-fishing as we know it :roll:

.D.

Go To Front Page