News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

Quote from: admin on March 31, 2010, 09:38:28 PM
Tie the same thing on an emerger hook and Bob's your uncle.

Sound advice Fred - thanks.  Had some grub hooks lying around, so here're attempts 2 and 3.  (Masterchef had 30 mins left to run :roll:)

Also used a different way of tying in the post, thanks to the step-by-step, and seems to look a bit less bulky.  Starting to look a bit better hopefully, but a bit more practice required me thinks.  Quick question - should the curviture of the hackle fibres flex down (i.e. shiny side down) or up if you know what I mean?

scotty9

Cheers Dave  :D Think i'll get some of that, especially if it will make things tidier.

Here's the picture of the klink I tied up, the body is too thick and the hackle could be neater, any advice? It's a size 12 b100 it's tied on. Also got a wee piccy of a griffiths gnat and the fly box that's been filled with the big scary beasties so far! My first attempt at klinks and griffiths gnat so hopefully things can only get better! Fingers crossed anyway!  :lol:

Black-Don

Here's my  Golden Olive Bumble with the correct  Blue Jay hackle.

I find these quite difficult flies to tie with loads of materials on small hooks but well worth the effort.

I've got to get my photography sorted though.  :x

Clan Chief

Very nice Black Don. I love that style of fly.
Scotty I like the look of those Turks.

Black-Don

Nice wee goldheads there Davy. :)

I took my bumble outside and it's amazing the difference it has made to the picture quality.I had a good idea lighting was greatly to do with my poor quality fly shot's and will have to try and rig something up for indoors.

Hook: B170 size 10
Thread: 8/0 Light Olive Uni Thread
Tail: Golden Pheasant Topping
Body: Irish Golden Olive Seals Fur ( Artifly )
Rib: Golden Oval
Body Hackles: Golden Olive Cock Saddle Hackle ( Artifly ) and Natural Brown chinese cock neck
Head hackle: Blue Jay ( Half Stripped )

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]
The Suzie

Required materials

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

A streamer made with black and white hair from my collie Suzie. it works, got me a 6lb sea run trout in NZ. This one is on an 8 long shank, the NZ fish was on a standard shank  size 10.

Bind on the heavy dumbbell eyes, super-glue, give 3 coats of red Humbrol enamel over 2 days. Use a wooden tooth pick as a brush. Then paint on a black eye dot. Put the hook in the vice upside down. Tie in black collie hair with  a few strands of crystal flash. Turn the hook right way up, tie in white collie hair.

That's it, no body required. Do not overdress, keep it slim.

Remember because of the heavy dumbbell eyes this lure swims upside down, so make sure the white is on the underside as it swims - ie. on the top of the hook. It does not catch in the bottom!

bibio1

Just add a wee bit of marabou and some fritz and there would be no end of troots that fly could catch. I didn't know there were many sea run trout in NZ. Are they similiar to our sea trout or can you fish during the day for them?

Anyway I am still in my olive mode and focusing on floating nymphs. Thank god we have fly tying to get us through the winter. Some great flees recently.

Wildfisher

Paul,

Both Alex and I have caught several during the day

Clan Chief

A wee quick tye. Maybe use this up at Hillend on Sunday.........

Clan Chief

I have just started tying a batch today here are the first few.............

Go To Front Page