News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Thanks Mike. I have been experimenting   :shock:   with Naiomi for a few years now and the process is ongoing.

Nothing new or original  there (there seldom is in fly tying). I like to take the best bits / ideas from flies and put together something  that works for me. I don't mean sitting at a vice thinking  "let's try this", rather fishing with the fly and  thinking about what works and what does not, what is a pain, what could be done better,  then trying again and thinking about how to improve it  and  simplify the tying.

What works for me in a dry fly  are:

Ease of tying. 
Robustness.
Lack of maintenance when in use.
Catches fish.

This fly uses bits / ideas from  Sanchez Mega Beetle/ Moser's Balloon Caddis, and  a foam Cicada pattern I found by an Aussie guy on Youtube. My only addition (and no doubt that has been done before) is the use of Flexi-Floss for legs. Normal leg rubber is far too thick, stumpy  and immobile for most flies. Flexi-Floss is wonderful stuff. It really moves well and is available in a vast range of colors. No hackle is used (as is used in  Sanchez Mega Beetle), it is completely  unnecessary and makes the fly a pain to tie.

I can tie the above fly in a few minutes,  when tied sensibly it does not fall to bits easily, it is 100% synthetic (if you choose) , does not absorb water and  catches fish from the north Scotland to South  Island New Zealand. In fact it is the only fly I have managed to take a fish on in a notoriously difficult stretch of a certain spring creek on which Alex, John and I have spent  a lot of time . I tie it in olive and black with various leg colours and in various sizes.

Clan Chief

Havent tied for a wee while so i decided to start today by tying something simple for a forthcoming  fishing trip

emc

scoobyscott

Nice C.C. simple maybe but effective I'm sure. I knocked one of these up last night after watching a video on youtube, McPhails caddis pupae...
[attachimg=1]

Clan Chief

And heres a few Kates I  tied tonight on a size 14 B160 Kamasan hook to go along with the spiders

bibio1

V.nice looks good for the week ahead.

Cheers

Paul

Clan Chief

These two patterns caught most of my trout on the stravaig. Which I tied in the hostel.

Wildfisher

Daddies did do well that trip.

Clan Chief

Now starting to get into flytying mode as the season ends. I thought I would tie a few of these today. Its a pattern Bob who used to frequent these pages told me about. size 12 hook. red game fibres [these ones are a bit pale] peacock body [this one dyed claret] copper rib. Magpie wing and black hen hackle.

Clan Chief

tiedwrapped these this weekend for the ladies

Go To Front Page