News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyscott

Quote from: rannoch raider on July 28, 2017, 12:18:41 AM
I'm guessing its Organza ? Never seen it used for that right enough but it's a very good idea and would make for a quick and robust tie. Nice patterns Scott  :8)
Spot on, pearl body with organza wrapped over the top in open turns.
Quote from: Lochan_load on July 27, 2017, 11:36:39 PM
Both Look excellent, what's the body?
once you've tied in the deer hair don't be afraid to sweep it right back and pinch it tight to the shank. I always keep my scissors pointing to the tail, keeps the shape of the head tapered back into the fly, if you point the scissors up and down it makes a step.
Thanks will keep that in mind next time. Just practice I suppose

Lochan_load

It's a nice effect, never heard of it and could be very handy.

You're right it's down to practice. Deer hair can be fiddly but don't be scared of it. Once you've done your double wrap and spun the hair just draw it all back vertical and put a wrap of thread through it and then draw it back again and put a wrap of thread through it, I usually do it 2-3 times till I'm tight to the eye and then draw it back again and form a small head. Once you're comfortable with it you won't think twice about doing it. The one you've done is good by the way, would take fish all day long.

Lochan_load

One of my favourites, a pearly muddler. One tied pretty light in the head the other a bit heavier. I'd probably be quite happy just fishing these on a cast  :8)[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

Those are tidy. I've not been tying many loch flies at all of late.  I'm still building up the nymphs.

Some size 14 squirrely bugs with tungsten 'nuts'............

[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

rannoch raider

Something a wee bit different. Tied on 16's this time.............

[attachimg=1]

Mark

The squirrel bugs look ideal. Id happily fish those all day.

rannoch raider

Yeah I would be happy with them as well. To be honest I'm far more comfortable with the tried and tested more imitative nymphs than many of the 'frenchie' types I've been playing around with lately. I think the superfast sink Spanish perdigon types and the American takes on the French competition nymphs will be limited to VERY fast water simply because I don't have a massive amount of confidence in them. Maybe they'll win me over but I'm going to find it hard to move on from the PTN and hare lug styles. I was thinking about what to tie the other day and it occurred to me that I could be best employed making a few favourite patterns in good numbers in a wide variety of sizes.
The peacock neck jobs and a few others may not see much water truth be told ! :lol:

scoobyscott

Mark

I agree, always fish better with flies you have confidence in.
I love hares ear buggy type nymphs, have a selection in size 10 to 16, bead sizes 2.5mm - 4mm. That covers almost everything I need, other patterns have their day for sure but personally with the rivers i fish Im convinced its more about weight and sometimes size rather than pattern.

Go To Front Page