News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedropete

:tongue2 haha,yea very good..hope so.

bibio1

Lovely......im goin to get the vice out tonight

Laxdale

Quote from: pedropete on August 02, 2017, 12:44:09 PM
bumbling about this morning with these clan chief style bumbles, not a pattern or style I've tied or fished yet, but I'm sure they will get wet soon, I'm still learning the ropes regarding wild fishing... 8# short-shank barbless hooks. a busy pattern, I'm sure it will be just as rewarding fishing it as it is to tie up.
Very, very nice. Apart from the barbless bit.

pedropete

thanks very much roobarb,i will do..ill get there..

pedropete

ok, so things to bare in mind while I build my fly box is flys in a range of sizes and dressing states..from sparse to fully dressed in order to cover various water/weather conditions...I apologize in advance I know this might sound a bit of a basic question but would someone like to have a bash at explaining the theory behind the choice fly style versus conditions to me. has boat drift /wind speed/retrieve at the bottom of your choice of dressing style?? thanks.

Clan Chief

Those bumbles look amazing Pete! Good Work!

pedropete

makes perfect sense thanks for that,  ill keep that in mind just in general terms. I haven't tied anything really bigger than a 10 yet,  the 8 s/s special is an 8 gape and a 10 shank. not having a massive amount of wild fishing experience, looking at the flies available commercially they all seem well over dressed, so I'm glad I asked at this early stage.i don't mind looking daft!! :roll:

Bobfly

I have many, many flies that are looking quite a bit distressed when they leave fresh from the vice. The trout seem to take pity on them frequently enough to prevent me from attempting to do a more "proper job".  :D :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

rannoch raider

Hey Pete, You don't look daft ! You are clearly a fantastic fly tyer ! Those bumbles would grace the pages of any magazine in the country ! We are pretty lucky to have some highly experienced fishers and ghillies on here who REALLY know how to catch fish in all sorts of places and they are worth listening to! One thing I noticed when I came on here is that the successful guys always place presentation and pattern size well above elaborate fly patterns in terms of priority and they really do catch a lot of fish. If you can keep an open mind and accept advice you will be offered lots of wee nuggets from people like 'Roobarb' who are the 'real deal',  that will have you knocking out killer fleas all day long.  :wink:

pedropete

thanks gentleman for all the replies, I'm here to learn, and share as well, I can tie in a few styles,one is for show and the other for fishing, like Andy I too have seen some " efforts"  catching trout over the years, I don't think ill go far wrong around these parts,I appreciate your advice and the manner in which it is given.

Go To Front Page