News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

Thanks guys and yip it is a funnel dun. Great fly at the appropriate time and you can use the ordinary chinese capes as the hackle can be much bigger than you would normally use on a hook that size. In fact genetic hackles are no good for this fly

paul

Malcolm

Thanks for that - I think thats what I was looking for  (in another thread).
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

River Chatter

That's a very nicely tied fly Bibio1. An under rated and under used fly IMHO and the one that seemed to get me the best result on slow moving water on the Lanarkshire Avon - regardless of what was hatching! Must use up some of those neglected traditional up eyed dry fly hooks on a few.

bibio1

Malcolm

It was the other thread that put me in the mood to tie it because it is just  a great fly. The hooks are a old mustad and rust at the sight of water so you end up chucking them out after a days fishing. Having said that when you have to use one odds are you'll catch.

Red eye to london tomorrow so away to bed.

cheers all

paul

Clan Chief

Tied this tonight..............

Clan Chief

This is not so much "what I tied today" but what Davie McPhail tied today. I went along to the GAC to buy some odds and ends to add to my collection of fly tying materials when much to my surprise I noticed Davie McPhail was giving a tying demo. I pulled up a chair, watched and learned. When I arrived he was doing salmon style flies. Later I asked him to do a Turks Tarantula [spelling]. He very kindly told me to keep the flee. Here it is......................

Burnfoot Loch

Was up myself for some bits and bobs and noticed the group round him . He ties a terrific fly , Known Davie a few years very approachable always willing to give you his time for a wee natter . Seems he is going to be up there once a month for a wee while.

Clan Chief

Did a couple of these tonight..........

scotty9

A few that i've been tying up, Alex is a bad influence  :lol:

Terrestrial thingy:

Deer hair sedge:

Claret hedgehog:

Madam X:

Turks Tarantula:

Is it me or is the tarantula one of the most frustrating/difficult flies to tie?! Certainly out of the ones i've come across thus far. Had me going mental!

haresear

Very nice, Scott.

I would watch the wing on the black foam terrestrial though. If you tie them high and proud like that and quite solid, there will likely be a tendency to spin during the cast. The other flies are less likely to spin. I'll leve it some professor of aerodynamics to explain why :) How does the BFT float Scott? OK? - I've yet to tie some up.

A general point. If you find the bungee rubber legs too thick in smaller hook sizes, you could use flexifloss for the legs. Another good product is "perfect rubber" which gets thinner as you stretch it. I can give you some to try it.

Re the tarantula...well I'm a crap fly tier anyway, so I bought mine from the U.S. :oops:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page