News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rhyacophila (Furry Foam)

Started by scotfly, April 13, 2008, 10:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is one of two Rhyacophila Caddis patterns I have tied for sbs?s to let you see two methods of tying them. See Rhyacophila(Dubbed) for an alternative method of dressing.
Rhyacophila are a caseless caddis and among the easiest to imitate. Caddis are available to trout all year, so don?t underestimate their importance as a food item.
You can tie these in a range of sizes and colours to suit. I have used ?Flexibody? for the back, but you can use any similar clear plastic or even, simply, cut a strip from a clear plastic bag. For the body and thorax I have used ?Furry Foam? here, again substitute for what you have.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Partridge Czech Nymph #12
THREAD ? Black
WEIGHT ? Self Adhesive Lead Foil (two layers at the thorax)
RIB ? 3 or 4lb Nylon
BACK ? Flexibody
BODY ? Olive Furry Foam
THORAX ? Brown Furry Foam

STEP 1
Cut a strip of lead foil and wrap from the bend to near the eye, then take it back over the thorax area to give two layers on the thorax.

STEP 2
Attach the thread and cover the lead foil.

STEP 3
Flatten the end of the nylon and tie in.

STEP 4
Cut a strip of Flexibody approximately 2 ? 3 mm wide, then cut it to a blunt point. It is best to leave the backing on the plastic until you are ready to tie it in.

Then remove the backing and tie in by the pointed end on top of the hook shank.

STEP 5
Cut a strip of Furry Foam approximately 2 ? 3 mm wide and tie in.. Furry foam has two sides glued together. You can cut it as one piece to give a fuller body, or as I have done here, you can pull the two sides apart and use only one side to give a slimmer body.

STEP 6
Wrap the foam to the thorax and tie off.

STEP 7
Tie in the darker strip of foam for the thorax.

Then wrap and tie off to form the thorax.

STEP 8
Pull the back over the top of the hook, ensuring that is stays on top. Then tie down at the head.
I tie the back down at the head then fold it back and wrap over again for added security.

STEP 9
Wrap the rib to the head to form the body segments and tie of at the head.

Again I fold the nylon back for added security.

STEP 10
Finally trim the waste, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

Go To Front Page