News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Horsehair

Started by RichardSe, February 12, 2013, 10:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toms dun

If the true dressing includes jack snipe then almost impossible to get as jack snipe are no longer on the shootable list
Tom

Traditionalist

Quote from: toms dun on February 12, 2013, 11:17:11 PM
If the true dressing includes jack snipe then almost impossible to get as jack snipe are no longer on the shootable list
Tom

Jack Snipe was specified by many dressers. 

Traditionalist

Quote from: borderbob on February 13, 2013, 12:12:56 AM
So was Corncrake,Just look at Corncrake and Black.

I never found many of these flies all that effective anyway so I don't miss them. Nowadays there is something of a "revival" where people want to dress "authentic" patterns ( same for full dressed salmon flies which were fantasy objects to begin with, I can' t imagine a bigger waste of time and money, excepting some politicians and government departments! :)   ).  Even certain sock darning yarn ( Chadwicks 477) goes for ridiculous prices. Mostly to people who are hoping that it will turn their flies into some sort of "magic bullet". It wont of course, but that does not stop people believing it.

The most effective fly I use for a lot of things is a simple gold ribbed ( Actually usually copper) hare's ear. What sells is what people believe, not what is sensible and useful.

Traditionalist

Tried to find that address for you but it seems I deleted it in the last cleanup  When I get the next update from e-bay I will try to remember to post it.

I don't know whether they have different regulations there but they often have stuff you cant get anywhere else.

Traditionalist

Go To Front Page