News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Terra nova aspect 1

Started by sinbad, March 03, 2013, 09:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinbad

See what your saying with the ground sheet, I've got one of these  http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/Emergency-Survival-Bivi-Bag-p-972.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CI-znJP47bUCFaHHtAodnSsAVw think the ground sheet will be ok with that underneath. I like as much of my kit to be dual as possible, think this fits the bill? Sb

sinbad

The plastic orange bivi I've got does nt seem too heavy, but I've been wondering if taking an extra foam mat might let me use my lighter sleeping bag more often. Swings and roundabouts ... Mmm  :) Sb.

sinbad

Hi Alan , the ground sheet is 6000hh which i thought  would be 100% waterproof on its own just maybe vulnerable to sharp twigs or stones etc. Is this not the case even with a footprint ? Shit ! Sb.

Part-time

Try one of these blue tarps from Screwfix or similar. Strong, waterproof and lightweight - I reckon under 100g. Packs reasonably small as well.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/blue-tarpaulin-1-71-x-2-27m/44653?cm_mmc=Google-_-Keywordless%20Ads%20|%20Generic-_-HVK%20|%20Keywordless%20Ads%20|%20BMM-_-_cat:tools%20&gclid=COL5xt-G77UCFUbKtAodNWoA6A

sinbad

Had a wee check on weights. 1. blue tarp suggested by Part-time 100g
                                               2. E's foam mat suggestion 255g
                                               3. orange bivi bag 300g
I still like the idea of the emergency bivi being dual use but 3 times the weight mmm. Whatever i go with thanks to the forum as i probably would have used the tent without any footprint and had a leaky tent by the end of the summer. Cheers. Sb

Otter Spotter

Sorry to wander off topic (Its no like me), B&M have their summer range in at the moment and there is some decent camping odds and sodds. I got an inflatable pillow for 99p folds up to the size of a baccy pouch. They had most of the sundry gubbins you'd be looking for so well worth a visit if you happen to have one close by.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

sinbad

They ve got a 1.7m x 1.65m ground sheet £1.99 .   I think i know which way I'm going with the footprint thing. Oh and its green!  :lol: Sb.   

sinbad

Those type of dreams may lead to excessive rustling so best to have a ground sheet that can be blamed   :shock: lol

sinbad

On Saturday i canoed over to ardnish and tried out the aspect1. Smashing wee tent in my opinion, the side opening door style is great. Found a nice flat grassy spot and 5mins later job done. I'd had a look at the tent when it had first arrived and agreed with Element that floor looked a bit light weight and the tent was quite tight to stretch over the poles. However putting the tent up properly in the outdoors the tightness was less noticeable and i put a foam mat underneath which gave me confidence that the ground sheet was fine. Ive always thought 1man tents were too small for comfort but the aspect1 layout works well , which meant there still a decent amount of space for me and the dug (60lbs)
So quality workmanship from quality materials and a design that really works for me....there is a but !
It came with pegs obviously , just not as many as there should be, i had to use rocks for the guy ropes and the porch area which you use walking poles for had no guys so i had to take some lines from the canoe.
So great wee tent just add some more pegs and cords to your pack before you go ;)
Cheers Sb

sinbad

The paddle on sat/sun was indeed in great conditions there is some smashing views to be had just need to find out how the lochs on the peninsula are for fishing next visit.
The amazon deal for the pegs looks just the job . Cheers :)
Ian

Go To Front Page