News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Waders, leaks and fixes

Started by diverdave, April 04, 2010, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diverdave

All

For the last few years I have been repairing anglers waders. For many years I was a diver, running my own business. A large part of the business was dry suit repair, as they are very expensive and only last about 5-10 years. However like most anglers I found myself replacing my waders every second season.

I decided to attempt to pressure test the wader?s using the same technique as I used for dry suits, and then to repair them to dive suit standards. I got a loan of all my friends waders, most of which had a leak or two and pressure tested them using compressed air. I found that they all leaked in the same places, and that the problem was always the manufacturing technique, they were simply not made to last, the seams, particularly in the crotch and feet being the common leak points. I then compared the seams of dive suits and waders and found that the taping was very poor, however this was an easy fix.

DUI, the world?s most expensive suits last for years, 10 - 20 not being unusual. They never leak at the seams so I went to them for training, to learn how to make the seams properly. I took them some waders to look at and they laughed at the quality. However they were able to make the seams of my own waders incredibly strong.

We then started repairing wader in the business, however I decided to retire from diving a couple of years ago and this ground to a halt. I still did the odd repair for friends but now am getting waders from all over the country so have decided to start doing waders again, I have set up my shed as a workshop and am getting a good few in.

What I do is pressure test them using compressed air, and do a bubble check on them. The advantage of this is that we find weak points as well as leaks, so we repair problems before they occur. Leaks are marked and then the waders are washed and dried. We used to use aquasure as a sealant, however it is too thick, it sits in top of the weave of the material and does not soak in properly. What we now do is thin the glue right down to a consistency of water, and paint this on. We generally use about 4 coats thinly painted on to breathables, and 6+ on neoprenes, as the weave is much thicker and more absorbent. All repairs are made in the inside, so your waders look ok when being worn. This actually makes sense, as this is where the tape is. We do a much wider seam than the manufacturers and it really lasts, it is stronger than the wader material. Once dry we re-pressure test, to ensure that they are 100% air tight, and re repair as necessary. Pin holes, tears and the like are repaired in the same way, and we can even reduce the size of neoprene socks and replace them if the sock is available. My own waders, Hardy?s had a complete seam re seal at the end of their first years, once the warranty ran out. They are now in their 4rth season and have no leaks.

As this is basically a hobby I am happy to advise on wader repairs, or will do any repairs required on your waders. I keep the cost as low as possible, just enough to cover my costs and to fund a couple of pints and the odd days fishing. Prices range from ?10 for a pressure test and puncture repairs to ?45 for a breathable wader?s complete seam re seal and tests. I aim for same day puncture repair and a week for a complete re seam/re seal.
Pm me for any wader advice or if you want me to repair your waders. You can post them to me or drop of in a couple of local shops and I will collect them (cheaper direct to me though!)

Wildfisher

The seems like a good service Dave. Leaky waders are  a problem we all have from time to time. I'm sure some members will be interested.

alancrob

dazdidge

I could certainly do with larger neoprene socks in mine, they are only one size too large and a wee bit tight. Will deffinatley be thinking about sending them to you at the end of the season

darren

diverdave

Graham

no problem repairing round or over repairs. it is never as neat, but just as sucessful.
if you have put sealant on the outside, we simply ignore it and do our repairs on the inside. if you have repaired on the inside, when we pressure test we will find the leaks and just treat them, it makes no difference it just takes a little longer to work round previous repairs

dave

Clan Ford

Dave fixed them for me!

I sent Dave two pairs of waders.  A pair of Dan Ballies that I thought were in reasonable nick apart for a seam leak at the groin and a pair or Grey's GRX's that I had thoroughly abused, repaired and abused some more until I'd given up trying to find the holes.  Dave has repaired both, he was able to tell me that my Dan Ballies were actually much worse than I thought and that the GRX's were much better.  Not given the Dan's a good test yet but I've worn the GRX's for 6 outings.  No leaks on the first five but on the 6th I've had a new seam leak (nothing to do with any of Dave's repairs).  At least I'm back in the position where I can now find the leaks without having the feeling that my waders have gone porous.  I may yet try out the full seam repair service...

I thoroughly recommend you let Dave loose on your old waders.

Norm

kemp355

Hi what can i say fantastic service great work dave .They arrived back this mornig by courier great service  thanks agian DAVE for a fantastic job well done  . :D :D :D :D

Bobfly

I have had two pairs of sock foot breathable chest waders fixed by Diver Dave. Both now OK and free of leaks. However, one pair of waders still had some foot leakage first attempt and was returned for a free second and successful repair attempt. That pair now has foot sections so lathered in tacky surfaced sealant that I now put bread bags over those neoprene feet in order for them to be slippery enough to get them into my final wading boots. Prompt service and returns, and no leaks at the end of the day and cheaper than new waders...!! :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page