News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Authanic wire

Started by col, April 25, 2011, 12:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Planning to return to  a bit fly fishing for the pikies this year, never truely been happy with traces and it's a pain in the arse having to do all the preparation making them up. This stuff could be the answer expensive at ?12 .99 rrp for 5m spool but looks hassle free. Anyone used it?

Col

Wildfisher

I'm not sure what stuff you mean Col, but I too am getting into the pike more this year and bought some  pro-leader. Very expensive but it can be knotted. Wire traces and link swivels are a pain. I lost umpteen expensive surface popper last year due to link swivels opening up.

Inchlaggan

I use multistrand wire, and a process similar to that on the link below.
I substitute heatshrink tubing (Maplin) for the silicone tubing shown.
Quality swivels and snap links are essential.
http://www.uncutfishing.co.uk/pike_trace.html
Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Andrew Moray

Hello Col,

I've used the Authanic Wire and found it better than Proleader, which I used to use.
Now use the Surflon AFW micro supreme which is about the same price as the Authanic, I just find the Surflon a wee bit easier to work with.

Tony

Andrew Moray

My pleasure Col.
I think the only reason I switched to the Surflon was because a mate handed me a premade "leader" when I had fugazi'd mine, and I just stuck with it.

Have fun  :D

Black-Don

I had a look at the video last night. It looks kindof like braid. Good looking stuff and no links required just loop to loop  :8).

Allan Crawford

Offshore just now and cant remember what make but sounds like something similiar to Surflon, 7 strand steel wire coated in nylon, knots great use an Albright knot to attach it directly to 20lb mono.
Think it was bought under the name of "Masterline Toothy Critter" years ago, probably made by Surflon.

Fierybroon

not sure, can't remember which grip is which, can't say I notice any difference in casting, crap whatever the handle :worms

Fierybroon

yep, this tinterwebby thing doesn't work on my electrickery circuits :crap

Portmore

Hi
I use Authanic wire as do the guys that fly fish with me at the loch.
I have tried them all and I think it's the best that's why i sell the stuff it's easy to tie and it turns the big flies well.

The biggest pike on the fly from Portmore was caught on it no problem.

Stevie

Go To Front Page