News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Caimore Fly Box

Started by Wildfisher, June 08, 2011, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I just bought one of these (small size ) to see what they were like.

http://www.caimore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=65

Easily as good  as CF Design boxes at a mere fraction of the price.

Wildfisher

I'm getting a few more too Col. I'm scrapping compartmentalized boxes for dries. They are great in theory - until you try to get a fly out  on a windy day. That slit foam is the best idea by far that I have seen and the clear lid is so obvious it's a wonder it's taken so long to catch on.

River Chatter

These look like sensible and good value boxes for dries... thing is, it just wouldn't be the same for me fishing dry fly without my Wheatly box.  Flipping the lid is part of the ritual for me, so I guess I'm stuck with it, even if it does mean losing the odd fly in the wind.  :?

Wildfisher

Their service is fast too. I use their  leaders, very inexpensive and great value. I have also tried their fly lines. Great value  for money at  about  7 quid.  I don't object to other small supplier's fly lines being promoted on here (except one particular small fly line supplier's fly lines  of course   :lol:). Pitsford Pirate and others no problem at all. Caimore lines  are excellent and  a great buy for anyone wanting a cheap line. However I don't think they  do them lighter  than 5 weight.  :D

Billy

I have two of the Wychwood boxes with slots and they are great but seem a bit pricey when you look at these.

Billy

corsican dave

fred, what size hook do you think they'd take? i could do with another box or two for all these zoo cougars and wooly buggers i'm tying!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Dave,  I reckon up to size 8 max. Any bigger really needs an appropriate box. It's not just the hook size it's also the sheer bulk and weight of  flies on bigger hooks make them inappropriate for slit foam.

Wildfisher

The box I have is the same both sides Moray. I have ordered another, so I'll see if that's the same when it arrives.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on June 08, 2011, 03:42:10 PM
Dave,  I reckon up to size 8 max. Any bigger really needs an appropriate box. It's not just the hook size it's also the sheer bulk and weight of  flies on bigger hooks make them inappropriate for slit foam.

thanks for that, fred! guess i'll have to stick to my desperately expensive cf grand slam boxes... unless anyone has a better suggestion?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

dazdidge

Start carrying a Shakespeare boat box with wooden 12"x18" fly boxes. I have some you can have as I no longer need them. You may have to tidy out some of the yellow dancers, cats whiskers and green tadpoles etc :tongue2

Go To Front Page