News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Market Research

Started by Inchlaggan, March 10, 2013, 11:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Having dipped a toe in the water of selling hand crafted fly pocket fly boxes at the Glen Garry Christmas Fair last December I am toying with the idea of taking this further.
The Fair was hardly stuffed with loaded tackle tarts, but I did sell seven in six hours, all to ladies as Christmas presents for anglers. Hopefully the will go on sale in a local shop for the coming season.
I have Googled about, and there is not too much competition on the web-

http://www.woodenflyboxes.co.uk/luxury.htm

http://www.scwoodshop.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=1

I think I can match quality and price-

[attachimg=1]

The simpler ones at around £20 rising to £45 for the very exotic woods and veneers. Around £3 p&P, discount for forum members, of course!
The brass catches will be replaced with magnetic catches and an option of smooth or rippled ethafoam linings. Pocket sized at around 5"x 3" x 1" they will hold around 100 flees.

So what do you think- is there a market out there? Pitfalls? Good product and idea or am I talking pish again?

This gets me into "build a website" territory, and the sage advice of the forum is sought, with the possible reward of a freebie for any assistance rendered.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

There is ALWAYS a market for a special, quality product.

I would be very happy to help you with a web site, no freebee required - we are all friends here after all and if you can't help a friend  what are you?

It does not have to be complex, payment by paypal is very easy to set up.

The biggest problem  is getting your product out there and known.

Allan Crawford

Hi Ken
Boxes look good and I think you'll sell a few !
Harsh economic times but I'm sure there still people around who will be after a purpose built quality product rather than a GAC special. Doubt its Dragons Den territory but some pocket money and a good way to spend your time if you enjoy making them.

Allan

Highlander

QuoteThere is ALWAYS a market for a special, quality product.

I agree wholehearted with that. Your never going to get rich but I reckon you might sell all you can make.
Why not rich? People do not really want "fancy" wooden boxes, so niche market it will be.
Let me think, maybe get a "tackle review" in a couple of the Trout mags. You might (wont) not get your boxes back though but worth it for the coverage it will get. Make them to order, offer a brass "plaque" with say the owners name on it. Have a simple website people could have a look at the range & price. Whoops Fred just offered help on that one, good.If you do get it up & running I'll stick a few words & pictures on my site FOC.
Gook luck what ever you do,
Alan
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

garryh

perhaps marketing them as something other than fly boxes might work .line them with velvet and call them jewellery boxes.I'm sure there are other options.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Inchlaggan

Quote from: garryh on March 11, 2013, 06:59:44 PM
line them with velvet and call them jewellery boxes.
Strangely, I did just that at the Glen Garry Fair. Three or four jewellery stalls about that day, but I did not sell one.
It remains a good idea, just a different market to get into.
Go."

Part-time

They look very nice Ken and I'm sure they'll sell well.

Your sales at the fair being to ladies who bought them for gifts is interesting as, to be honest, a quality wooden fly box it not something I'd buy for myself but I'd be delighted to get one as a present. Don't know anything about up websites but if you can set it up so it comes well up the search list when all those women google 'gift for my husband' I'm sure they'd be popular.

Some native Scottish timber and other insert/compartment options would be nice for when I send SWMBO a link to your site :) 

Otter Spotter

They look great as always Ken!

I'd market them as flexibly as I could, really you are marketing your skills and workmanship.

These are items of desire not requirement so trying to access the higher end of the market is the way to go. You mention fly boxes and others have mentioned jewellery but really there is no end to the function of a well crafted box such as these, tea caddy, Cigar box, cutlery box etc. You could also expand and do elaborate artisan luxury kitchen items, suck as somewhere to hang your sabatiers or your lecruset, chopping boards, knife blocks etc.
I'd suggest that a mention over on the monkeyhouse would generate orders no bother but you'd then have to deal with the monkeys  :roll:
The ideal is that you use a website, craft fairs etc to show off what you can do but get as many commissioned orders as possible everyone loves to have something 'unique', its this that adds value.

All the best with your venture.
Scott.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

scotgillespie

Think you hit the nail on the head at the market; it is definitely in the thoughtful present category.

Again I wouldn't seek one out, but if I were to get one as a present I would be a happy bunny. If I had an fly-fishing relative (alas I'm the only one who doesn't first think worms), then I would consider getting them one.

I think there is a genuine market though, plus wholesale to the more up-market stops on the tourist trail (they might want sale or return though).

I would say unless you get fancy and curly with the marquetry, or curvy in shape, then you are talking about a to-a-male market, even if you lined them in a lilac/purple plush velvet.

Happy to dust off my in-another-life-was-a-graphic-artist-bod hat, if you want help for Point of Sale material or website.

Inchlaggan

Thanks all for the input, keep it coming!

Mucking around in CAD with some new designs whilst waiting for supplies to arrive. Rounding edges, veneers, inlays and so on.

This guy seems to have it nailed-

http://www.highlandcraftsman.co.uk/smallpresentation.htm

Thanks again.
Ken