News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Overdress

Started by superscot, March 28, 2014, 11:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superscot

Gents came a cross an article in an overseas mag on the subject of over dressing flies, Now I canny tie flees to save myself just wondered your thoughts on the subject. Example  below

[attachimg=1]

The authors final words were 
QuoteReducing the bulk needs to be a conscious consideration whilst tying flies. The author believes in the maxim "less is more".

Thoughts

scoobyscott

On most occasions I would agree, certainly for nymphs and olive imitations. Most shop bought flies are overdressed too

bushy palmer

I'll often carry a couple of variations of each pattern. For rivers I'll use a heavier dressed pattern in fast water and a lighter dressing in slower water.

The same is true for lochs- I carry some very heavily dressed patterns which seem to work well in very rough conditions.

Rabmax

I only fish rivers & carry both fat & slim patterns.Slim mostly for your Olives slightly fatter for caddis. Guess it depends where you fish what they prefer.On the tributaries i fish they prefer buggy not necessarily fat but buggy.On the maine river they can be more picky & sometimes want sparse.I am a big believer on adding movement to your nymphs & dry flies.Just look at how good a Cdc & Elk is at catching with those long cdc barbs wafting about. Just about everything i tie has either partridge,Cdc,or picked out guard hairs.Shop bought flies will probably be ok after a good scub up with some velcro. :D

Highlander

The flies shown as "overdressed are not in the least in my opinion. Less can be more but not in all cases. I suppose the author may just be making a point but examples are poor in relation to the dressing.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on March 29, 2014, 12:18:34 PM
but examples are poor in relation to the dressing.

I'd agree, none of those flies is overdressed.

bibio1

I think flies dressed too sparse are not that effective. Look at a march brown nymph.... they are thin but wide. I also think that the clyde style nowadays is totally different to even 40 yrs ago. Remember hooks are far thinner now.

rannoch raider

I would be happy with any of the flies shown. The examples described as overdressed look fine to my eye anyway and I would be quite happy to use them. The damsel in particular could well benefit from the movement of the longer picked out fibres on the body?

garryh

When tying wet flies I deliberately tie the same fly slim or fat ,if palmering some sparse some bushy,so when I look in the box I have a choice to suit conditions.
Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on April 06, 2014, 09:35:59 PM
problem is i need a massive tuft to see them these days

welcome to old age.  :lol:

Go To Front Page