News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What wading staff?

Started by Highlander, May 01, 2014, 03:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Time has come, should have been using one some years ago. Now I struggle a wee bit more what with a wee bit arthritis in my right hip. & took a header couple of years back something I had not done since I plunged into that deep hole at Wolfclyde bridge in my youth but that was my stupid fault.  Now normally I am a very careful wader & know how to
negotiate most river bottoms but what with me & "my bad leg" the time has come.
So with that in mind what do you guys that use one recommend. I have an inkling for the Sharpes one piece but would a collapsible one be "just" as good & if so which one do you use. I can see the advantage of a collapsible whereby you can use it as & when needed & packs away maybe in a small pouch or day sack whereas the one piece by design would be more sturdy would be there ever more with me during the day.
Read good reports some time ago about the American Folsom make but do not see a UK stockist. The Simms & the like are just a wee bit dear. Orvis list a couple, not cheap but,with their excellent warranty worth a punt. Maybe not, if heaven forbid I needed to claim warranty I may well be deid if the staff fails.  :roll:  UK ones? cheaper but are they simply up to it? Scierra & AirFlo come to mind.
Anyway advice gentlemen.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I use a Snowbee folding staff. It is multi-section on a bungee, this means it folds away and fits into a holster on my wading belt when not in use. It's OK.

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/snowbee-wading-staff.html

haresear

For occasional river crossings I use the same multi-section one as Fred. It is adequate for that sort of occasional use.

For days when I think I'm going to be wading a lot on dodgy riverbeds, such as when salmon fishing with the fly, I use the telescopic Snowbee one at £27.99. It is a twist lock mechanism and is sufficiently heavy and sturdy for that purpose.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Billy

Alan,

I use a Leki telescopic which I bought in a Falkirk shop a few years ago.
I know that a lot of people don't like telescopic s but I have found it fine. Your never really putting your full weight on it but its more to steady yourself.

Well worth getting one as Fred found out last year. A couple of times I have struggled to get out of the river on the odd time I have forgotten to take it.

Billy

lochgarryfisher

My first two were wooden, the first one was basically just a long walking stick but the problem being it floats, the second one wooden again but with a piece of lead in the bottom but the weight still wasn't sufficient to sink it in fast water.
I prefer the look of wood but decided that their floatiness was a design flaw, i ended up having to force them down in the current so i reluctantly went and bought a proper metal one, it aint pretty but its density means it is much easier to use.
It is a telescopic Snowbee one, 3' collapsed extending to 6' ish and feels extremely safe and sturdy in a fast/strong current.

Darwin

Simms' makes a nice folding staff, but they are pricey. $150 over here.

burnie

I use a Snowbee and have to say for crossing rivers carrying a bit of water, they are a vital tool. If you watched that prat Robson Green the other night fishing the Moy in Ireland, you will see why a wading stick is very important part of your gear.

Andrew Moray

Alan,

I have a Folstaf Wading staff, never used it, but its in the car bag if I think it'll be needed.
I saw them in the US as walking sticks when I was on the John Muir and P.C. Trails, and once I started fishing, seemed like the one to get.
Personally, IMHO, the other fold/collapse ones I've seen are too short, if you're in a hole, you want the staff above hip height to allow you to apply some power.

The collapsible ones, like mine, do have weaknesses though if they get stuck, you'd be stuck in the middle of a river, looking like you were playing with a tug toner:

Tug Toner

I'd go for a handmade one piece if I were a man of leisure like you  :wink:
Let me know when your next out and I'll throw mine in the river beside you to try for the day.

All the best,
Tony

EDIT - This Orvis one looks very very familiar  :wink:
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2T47

Tyro

Hi,
I've recently started going out on the Tay after salmon with the Perth and District guys. I bought a Sharpe's. It's a superb bit of kit. Fairly heavy so does not float about and get in the way. Comes with a shoulder strap so it's always by your side when you need it. No use in a bag when your feet start to slide! it's pricey but I got mine from Garry Evans for £34 plus postage and it came by return of post. It's even got a length to weight chart on it for when I actually catch one of these fish this season!!

Len

Go To Front Page