News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Furled Leaders

Started by Wildfisher, June 27, 2014, 10:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Do you or have you used furled leaders and how did you get on? If so what type / length did you use?

Robbie

I am trying them this season after winning a couple at last years EOSS. Had to buy a couple of additional one to suit 5wt lines, picked these up from GAC but can't remember the make off the top of my head.

I have looped a small leader ring on the end it make it easier to attach tippets, think they are Roman Mosser leader rings. Initial impressions are that they do improved turnover, especially at short distances. I have noticed some spray coming off occasionally during casting, however this is very fine and I have not noticed it putting fish off.

If you do snag up on anything and have to pull free they can twist up on themselves after the sudden release of tension. So far these tangles have been easily sorted. They do make a but of noise through the rod rings.

Overall I am happy with their performance and intend to continue using them for now.

Highlander

Quoteunlike a nylon leader you can't cast then nip a bit off, or add a bit to get a better presentation, your stuck with the length of tippet that works best which i found not flexible enough to fiddle with.

Alan you adjust the tippet length to suit.  The furled leader is a transition between fly line & tippet they are made certain lengths/thickness to suit line sizes. They are not designed to be cut.
Fred I use the American Blue Sky make made from nylon. You can get them made from tying thread. First ones were made using 6/0 Uni way back. I prefer the nylon as they are more robust  but the thread made ones are perfectly good & if I was pushed I would say they are marginally better for river use. A guy called Rod Dibble makes the best thread ones, sorry no contact number.
Robbie GAC stock a furled leader by a company called Hemingway.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

Harelug used to make them and he gave me one to try a few years back. It was probably about 6 or 7' - I can't remember. I added 9 feet of mono to that, but I was fishing a wide, open river. On a small river with trees, you'd have to cut the mono back according to the conditions.

I didn't notice any difference in turnover, but I wasn't trying two outfits side by side, so maybe they are better for turnover, maybe not. There is some spray, but it isn't a big deal. There is also an increased chance of tangles as Robbie said, after a sudden release of tension, but like Robbie, i was always able to disentangle these. Once disentangled there are no kinks, unlike heavy mono, so that is a plus point.

I was sent another type to try by a guy called Rod Dibble, who makes them for sale. It was ok too, similar to Harelug's homespun job.

What attracted me to them in the first place, is the fact that they are more supple than mono, so must be better at coping with cross-current drag than mono is. When greased up, they also float for longer than heavy mono butts.

I fished with one for a whole fortnight on a river. I caught lots of fish, some big, but it is impossible to quantify how more or less successful I would have been had I used my usual set up.
The only thing I didn't like about the furled leader was the connection to the fly line. I didn't like the loop to loop clunkiness, so I managed to nail knot one on. It was still a bit clunky for my tastes, so that's why I consigned mine to a drawer somewhere.

I have been using a Cadno DT4 silk line for my last few trips and as it has a really small, fine loop for a smoother connection, I was coincidentally enough thinking of trying another furled leader out at the weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Yes Alex, I read somewhere that the ones made from  UNI thread can help reduce drag, presumably  because they are less stiff. Anyone  know anything about that?

haresear

Quote from: admin on June 27, 2014, 01:43:57 PM
Yes Alex, I read somewhere that the ones made from  UNI thread can help reduce drag, presumably  because they are less stiff. Anyone  know anything about that?

I'm sure thats what Harelug used. The Rod Dibble one was similar and the one I have in a wee plastic bag somewhere looks to be made of thread too. You can get furled leaders made of very fine mono I believe, but I don't see the point in that. The same goes for mono "Singapore leaders", I don't see the point.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

QuoteYou can get furled leaders made of very fine mono I believe, but I don't see the point in that

Why would that be Alex?

I have used nylon furled leaders since I introduced them to the UK all those years ago & have no issues with them over thread made ones. There are sutble difference but for robustness the nylon wins ever time. Unlike some cheaper ones on the market The Blue Sky ones are basically made correctly & in my opinion the best out there.

Bit difficult this thread as I have a vested interest in them & when the subject crops up on occasion I feel the need to respond but other than a couple of replies, I will say no more. but will follow with interest.

For a wee bit of proper info have a look here & make your own mind up.

http://www.blueskyfly.com/blueskyfly_011.htm

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

Quote from: Highlander on June 27, 2014, 03:07:13 PM
Why would that be Alex?

I have used nylon furled leaders since I introduced them to the UK all those years ago & have no issues with them over thread made ones. There are sutble difference but for robustness the nylon wins ever time. Unlike some cheaper ones on the market The Blue Sky ones are basically made correctly & in my opinion the best out there.

Bit difficult this thread as I have a vested interest in them & when the subject crops up on occasion I feel the need to respond but other than a couple of replies, I will say no more. but will follow with interest.

For a wee bit of proper info have a look here & make your own mind up.

http://www.blueskyfly.com/blueskyfly_011.htm

Tight Lines

I didn't know you had introduced them Alan :)

I have a feeling the leader I am about to try is in fact a Blue Sky one, as it looks to be the same colour as the light green one on the website. I'll try to identify it positively and if it is indeed a Blue Sky nylon job I'll give it a go and let you know what I think.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

The Blue Sky will be  best when the sun is shinin' in the sky and there ain't a cloud in sight  :lol:

haresear

I think the furled leaders I have are "North Country Flies" versions.

I'll order one of your Blue Sky jobs Alan to try it out. I think I would prefer the longer length of those in any case. I've dropped you an email at your Highlander address.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page