News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Great Tip For Nylon Spools

Started by Wildfisher, June 07, 2017, 07:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I really don't like the ones that come with products like Rio Powerflex as I believe they stretch and damage the material.  Many don't come with any kind of useful band at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B526PwapNw

haresear

Looks a bit like a sledgehammer to crack a
nut to me. :)
I take it you don't like the wee metal ring in the Rio spools Fred? You don't need to use it. You can just melt a hole in the elastic supplied and thread the line through that instead.
Or you can use ladies' hair bands - the fluffy type of a diameter that suits the spool. These fill the spool so that you don't need to create a hole at all. You just take the nylon out the side.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Aye it is a bit of an overkill.  :D

johnny boy

I had to chuckle when he took the wee marker pen and started to scribe 4x on it the elastic in tiny writing, couldnt he read the huge writing on the side of the spool.

Bit of an ocd that one i think but if you have nothing to do on a winter night its probably better than come dancing.

Wildfisher

Quote from: johnny boy on June 07, 2017, 03:08:46 PM
couldnt he read the huge writing on the side of the spool.

When the spools are fixed together in the way he has them you can't read the size off the side. It has to be on the elastic.

Mark

How many spools do you guys take with you?
I use 5x most of the time but do have a spool of 4x in my bag to use when the waters carrying some colour.

I read of guys using 7 and 8x for nymphing. They must get through some flies.

Wildfisher

3x
4x
5x
6x

Use 4x and 5x 90% of the time.

haresear

Protect the edge.

ant0

Quote from: haresear on June 07, 2017, 09:22:29 AM
...you can use ladies' hair bands - the fluffy type of a diameter that suits the spool. These fill the spool so that you don't need to create a hole at all. You just take the nylon out the side.
Alex

That's what I do and you can colour code them  :D

Go To Front Page