News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Missing DT lines

Started by Highlander, December 10, 2017, 01:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Was browsing the  GAC catalogue & could not help but notice that just about all the fly line they sell are WF am I missing something here? I am going to buy a new rod shortly & I want a DT not WF a line type I never use. Is this a new thing or am I misreading the pages?
:?
It was all so easy way back. You could have a single or double  taper even a level line & if you wanted to cast that wee bitty further a weight forward might do the trick or heaven forbid a shooting head.
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Still lots of DTs available but it is certainly correct that they are vastly outnumbered by WFs and other fancy tapers.

They are great for catching anglers. Good casters like Alex can cast efficiently  with any line.

More  important than the  profile is the smoothness of the coating and that's where expensive lines from the likes of Rio and SA win hands down.

haresear

I often use DT lines too and have noticed that there are fewer options around these days. This is particularly true of the lower and middle end brands.
It wasn't  so long ago that you could get a decent DT from Leeda , Shakespeare  etc., although Greys still market some DT lines. The Greys are okay in my opinion. Just okay.
Being obsessive when it comes to fishing, I have DT lines on reels for the whole range from #3 through to #10 and have boxed spares just in case they cease to be available. I really should get a life....

Protect the edge.

Bobfly

I am confidently working on the basis that fairly shortly after these are more or less unobtainable their clear benefits will be "rediscovered and are developing a niche cult following" and so a mass marketing wave will bring these "new lines" rushing back.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

sagecirca

Quote from: haresear on December 10, 2017, 02:42:39 PM
I often use DT lines too and have noticed that there are fewer options around these days. This is particularly true of the lower and middle end brands.
It wasn't  so long ago that you could get a decent DT from Leeda , Shakespeare  etc., although Greys still market some DT lines. The Greys are okay in my opinion. Just okay.
Being obsessive when it comes to fishing, I have DT lines on reels for the whole range from #3 through to #10 and have boxed spares just in case they cease to be available. I really should get a life....

What do you use for the river Alex? DT or WF?

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on December 10, 2017, 10:45:22 PM
What do you use for the river Alex? DT or WF?

I am not fussy which spool I pick up David. I think the DT gives marginally better presentation on longer casts but there is no difference netween the two tapers when casting within the head length of the WF as long as the DT and WF front tapers are identical.

I suppose I am coming back to using the DT more often on rivers these days but as I say, I am happy to use a WF too.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page