News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Busy, busy, busy

Started by Wildfisher, June 23, 2022, 08:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I watch a lot of Youtube videos on the Scottish hills and it never fails to amaze and appal me how busy the Munros are now. Also I see remote summits I climbed 40 years ago with deep eroded ridge paths where back then there were none.

I'm very lucky I did the Munros ( most of them but 50 or so short of the lot) back in the 70s and 80s when the hill activity was not as frenetic.

The funny thing is the loneliness and solitude, the undisturbed nature etc - they are all still there if you stick to the unlisted hills and explore the glens. Often I see lines of punters heading uphill and really do wonder if they know what they are really missing out on.  ;)

Bobfly

Quite agree Fred. I am170 into my second round of Munros but rarely go out aiming to add into that round. Surprising how busy even minor hills now are. Good to see folk on the hills but there are now very few on the main traditional mountain crags, indoor gymnastic crags have taken over along with very high standard outcrop and sea cliff sites.
Mountain biking is now a hugh activity.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Over the past few weeks there have been 3 videos on hikes into Lurg Mhor released, there may have been more, those are jut the ones that popped up in my feed. It makes you wonder the sheer numbers in these remote spots now.

ianmck

The irony is that the views are usually far more impressive from corbetts and grahams (and other random hills) looking across onto the peaks and cliffs of surrounding munros than from the actual munro summits. Always wondered if we will see an explosion in corbett bagging as soon as the instagram generation get through with the munros.

Wildfisher

Creag Leek above Braemar does not even  make 700M yet it is one of the best viewpoints I know.

Inchlaggan

Dun Caan on Rassay is another at only 430M, or one of Scotland's "Sub2000's" as we intrepid, tick-boxing, mountain, hard-men, call them.

The usual walk into Gairich starts by crossing the Quoich dam, there was a party starting off the other day. Strung out along the dam, I gave up counting at 40.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on June 25, 2022, 05:07:36 AM
I gave up counting at 40.

Aye, well, you just can't beat getting away from it all.   :D

Bobfly

I am amazed to read of that group going to Gairich. Not the most interesting hill !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Bobfly on June 25, 2022, 10:54:47 AM
I am amazed to read of that group going to Gairich. Not the most interesting hill !!

For exactly that reason it is a regular "last Munro" party venue.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

I did Gairich in full winter conditions and it was a fine hill. Me and my climbing partner had it to ourselves.

Happy - pre-mob days.  :)

Go To Front Page