News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Deer Hair

Started by Wildfisher, February 21, 2008, 09:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have always been curious about the different types of "deer"  hair  specified in some patterns, so  I ordered some from Coookshill. Here are 4 types for reference – picture quality is not great I'm afraid but will serve as a guide

[attachimg=1]
Yearling Elk

[attachimg=2]
Elk - very long hair

[attachimg=3]
Fallow - short dark and quite stiff

[attachimg=4]
Coastal – short and fairly soft

Tim

I bought some sika on a whim last year and like it for smaller sedge patterns. It's very dark and does not flair much.

Tim

scotfly

Choice of hair is critical in many patterns. Use the wrong hair and it can be a nightmare.
http://www.rmdstore.com/HairChart.html

Wildfisher

Dennis, do you ever blend different types in order to get a certain shade?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Tim on February 21, 2008, 09:32:11 PM
I bought some sika on a whim last year and like it for smaller sedge patterns. It's very dark and does not flair much.

Tim

Sounds interesting  for ? hogs etc. Can't recall seeing it for sale anywhere. Where did you buy it?

deergravy

Roe deer is the one I use most, but I've got loads of patches of deer hair kicking about. Got to admit I haven't a clue what beast most of them came from, I tend to just pick them up and choose the most suitable.
Given how variable a material this is - species, season, body area- I find this approach simplifies things

scotfly

Quote from: admin on February 21, 2008, 10:11:43 PM
Dennis, do you ever blend different types in order to get a certain shade?

No.  :D

Tim

Fred

Here's the Sika

And a couple of size 14 cdc elk type things with sika hair

Thought it was Sportfish but can't find in new catalogue.

Tim

.D.

Might have been GAC - the Sika ( they seem to be about the only one of the big retailers that do Red Deer too :o).

Strangely ugly creatures.

.D.

Go To Front Page