News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Good looking fly that - Buzz gave me a not dissimilar one (I think a stimulator with the hackle cut off underneath) which has worked very well this year on the Leven.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I note this tread has over 2000 posts and has had almost 62,000 views to date. It is certainly popular and a great ad. for a great fishing forum.

Well done to all of you, you make this forum what it is.

Clan Chief

Been on a leggy theme recently. My firend and I were having success with this style up north recently, also had a couple of fish on local waters using this style too...........

River Chatter

Clan Chief

I take it you are refering to the legs. No great thought went into tying these. I have only just started to tie these as it's not a pattern I had used often until recently.The long legs were not deliberate , just the way they turned out. I will try tying them shorter next time.

The Bandy Man

Ardbeg's right that I tend to tie my 'default' hopper with a short hackle and shorter legs. I tie them with three legs either side rather than across the back. These ones I tend to fish static when, for example, the heather fly are on (soon I hope!) on 12's and 14's.

I do tie longer legged and bigger versions which I use when I'm pulling flies; one is very similar to CC's first photograph. I also do sedgehogs with legs and a wee black one with a wee bit of deer hair wing. All of these variations work in the right place on the right day. Better on lochs than rivers generally, but sometimes they can do a trick on the rivers too.

I put too much store in hoppers at times though.

John

Malcolm

I think hoppers are great too Mr Bandyman (great to have you back BTW). It's probaly the only fly that I'm really fussy about though. All the legs must be knotted just once and pointed down - directly underneath the body. I bought a pre-knotted pheasant tail and tied up a good number of hoppers using it. However I didn't have any confidence in them and I've given most of them away but they have worked for other people.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotfly

I've been doing really well on Grasshoppers this past week. Mostly I've been tying a smaller, slimmed down version of the Klodhopper, but the other night I decided to try a CDC & Elk version.....

HOOK - TMC 5263 #10
THREAD - Grey Benecchi 6/0
BODY - CDC
LEGS - 10 Pheasant tail fibres knotted together
WING - Dear Hair

Two 21/2 Brownies last night gave it their approval.  :8)

scotfly

After tying up the hoppers I thought it time for some "normal" sizes.

HOOK - Varivas 2200 #22
THREAD - Olive 10/0 Gudebrod
BODY - Olive Goose Biot
THORAX - Light Olive Beaver Under-Fur
WING - Snowshoe Rabbit.

Clan Chief

This came about after a bit of a ham fistedness. I was going to make a wee bumble, I palmered the orange hackle down the body then as got hold of the gold tinsel it broke off. So I just gave the orange hackle a few turns at the collar then tied on the purple partridge hackle at the head.
The lighting doesnt show the true colours of this fly

Thread Brown Uni
Tail. Golden  Pheasant Crest
Body. Fiery yellow SLF
Collar hackle .  HotOrange cock hackle
Head Hackle. Purple Partridge hackle

Go To Front Page