News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

:shock: That's a work of art Paul, good enough to eat !

Wildfisher

Quote from: muddler9 on August 10, 2010, 12:00:29 PM
On Yorkshire's R. Wharfe in recent years, a number of unusually large (5-6lb+)  trout have been caught. It's thought that they got that big through eating crayfish. Some anglers are experimenting with crayfish patterns with some success. Give them a swim.
In one of Olie Edwards' DVDs he is fishing the Wharfe and comes across some lobster sized crayfish remains. Remind me never to wet wade in there.  :shock:  :lol:

RichardL

Nice Crayfish Paulo.  I know where you are going to take them so looking forward to see if you get one of the lunkers!

haresear

QuoteSurely those big trout must eat the buggers!?

They do in lake Poerua, NZ, Paul. The local anglers use a fly called a red setter to imitate them (it isn't particularly like a crayfish if you ask me) and I'm sure the smaller crays at least must be eaten on the Clyde.

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

Cheers guys,
Will give it a swim tonight or tomorrow.Just realised I forgot it's antennae-need to get it a wee set of deely boppers.
Paul

Robbie

Paul, that is a cracking looking crayfish.

I finally managed to spend some time at the vice and tied up a few Chief and variants:

Robbie

Harpo

Quote from: paulr on August 10, 2010, 11:06:18 AM
those big trout must eat the buggers!?

Matt Hayes was saying on one of his programmes that the Perch record will be broken on the Ouse soon as they are eating the signal crayfish and getting very big as a result of that, but in turn the Crayfish eat the fish eggs so there may not be as many fish in future generations :?

Good luck with them Paul!

Kev1982

Cracking fly Robbie...catches more for me than any other fly i would think!

I tie a variation without the red hackle, instead i mix red dub with black all the way along the body and 'rough it up' a bit. Suppose its just a bibio with a bit more red in the body...

Seems to work well on the hill lochs in Argyll!

Black-Don

That's a nice Clan Chief, Robbie. I was tying up muddled sunburst Kate McLarens last night. Must try and get a photo up later.

Black-Don

A sunburst Kate variation and some muddler lures.

Go To Front Page