News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

They certainly look like they'll do some damage, I'll look forward to hearing how you get on.

bibio1

Thanks guys. This afternoon has been cdc caddis

rannoch raider

Very nice. That's a nice green colour on the bodies. I can just about see a wee glimmer of flash there too. Is that incorporated into the bodies or is the camera just picking up trimmings lying on your table ?
Where's the expected Caddis fest ?

pedropete

nice wraps paul, you have those caddis down to a fine art!! I've not been doing much fishing or fly tying for that matter, had a mess about with a new picric dyed Metz saddle from sam McGowan @ I.F.S.on these golden olive and picric dabblers.

bibio1

They are stunning.   Yip a wee bit of dubbing incorporated into the cdc dubbing loop. It does lift it a bit

rannoch raider

Yeah, it does add something for sure. Sometimes CDC can have a 'blandness' about it but that bit of sparkle brings it to life. Like I said, very nice Paul.

rannoch raider

Those dabblers are lovely Pete. The dabbler is a pattern  that I don't have much experience of. I know many swear by them but for some reason I just never seem to be able to find space for them on a cast! Having said that I think I'd find a spot for one of those.
Thanks for sharing your source. He does some nice materials. 

pedropete

JIM,  its a really versatile pattern both to tie and fish, on wild and stocked fish i might add,  a set up i quite enjoy is fishing 2 dabblers 10ft apart on a 2 fly cast. from a floating line to an inter..its been productive for me. p.m me your details and ill pop a few flys your way , least if you have them in the box you might try them.

hopper

Pete, do you always split your jungle cock feathers. i always have a bugger of a job to get them to sit in, have seen them at a 45 deg angle.

rannoch raider

:lol: Thanks Pete that's a very nice offer and it's much appreciated as your patterns are beautiful:8). However, it's not for the lack of patterns in my box that I don't fish it much. There's just something about the dabbler that turns me off  :lol:. I think the general body  dressings look fantastic until the time comes to put the Bronze Mallard or whatever on in that Dabbler 'cloak / top/ bottom style and at this point I always feel the pattern is screaming out for that to go on as part of a soft webby shoulder /collar hackle. I like Rob Denson's Crippler series which are fairly similar to dabblers in some respects but have that softer, rounder profile that I think might lend the fly more mobility?
I'm probably a bit OCD about wee silly things like that but you know how it is! It's difficult to fish something with confidence unless you really believe its the best you have in the box.
Having said that, I'm going to get a few materials from your supplier and I'll make a point of copying your pattern as I do like the look of it. You never know it might convert me  :wink:

Go To Front Page