News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

CDC Suspender Buzzer

Started by scotfly, July 26, 2008, 05:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

A telephone call from my older brother a few weeks ago came to a conclusion with those immortal words ?any chance of a few CDC Suspender Buzzers for your brother, my box is looking a little bare?  So I set about tying a few for him and thought I might as well do a sbs on them. I actually went through three phases of Suspender buzzer, the Ethafoam Version, the CDC version (which is this one) and finally my own Shrouded Buzzer which is my first choice suspender now.
All three are simple uncomplicated patterns to tie, while the Ethafoam and CDC versions are virtually the same, only the method of flotation is different. The pattern for the CDC and Ethafoam version is the same for them all, I only change the colour of the abdomen to represent the different buzzers. I have stated the dubbing I have used here, but it really makes no difference what dubbing you use so long as it is of a similar type or texture. i.e. Beaver, fly-rite or super fine, etc for the abdomen. Ice dubbing, SLF or seals fur, etc for the thorax.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B170
THREAD ? Black 6/0
RIB ? Pearl Mylar
BODY ? Beaver Dubbing
THORAX ? 50/50 Blend of red and peacock Ice Dubbing
THORAX COVER/WING ? 3 or 4 CDC Feathers

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap it down and well round the bend, catch in the rib as you go.

STEP 2
Apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread and wrap to form the body.

STEP 3
Follow with the rib.

STEP 4
Tie in 3 or 4 CDC feathers on top of the hook shank

STEP 5
Apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread and wrap to form the thorax. The thorax should be more pronounced than the body.

STEP 6
Pull the CDC feathers over and tie down with two turns of thread. Allow a few CDC fibres to trail behind for a bit of extra movement.

Then lift the CDC feathers and make a few wraps under them to lift them up a bit.

Then whipfinish and detach the thread.

STEP 7
Finally, trim the wing to length and varnish for the completed fly.

Trimming the CDC as shown, which leaves the stiffer stem as an integral part of the wing, produces better and more durable flotation.
Fish either singly or as part of a team. If it is calm I always fish it singly and give it an occasional twitch, or, if you leave it for a while in a flat calm it will ?magically? start moving on its own. Unless a fish snaffles it first of course!

Wildfisher

Great stuff Dennis. I'll tie a few of those.

Go To Front Page