News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Travel rod

Started by Richy, March 02, 2006, 10:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richy

Swithun,

Thats the rod I use and its ok. Great for tramping into faraway places hidden in your ruckie  :wink:  :wink:

Just in case your fishing somewhere that you shouldn't  :shock:  :shock: Not that You or I would do such a thing !!!

Never had any problem with it mate.

All the best

Richy

Fishtales

I can't find a 5 piece on their site, they are all 2 piece.

http://www.daiwa.ca/tackle/sitemap-tackle.html
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Richy

I use 5 on mine, I would think 7 would be too much.

I think I paid 45 pounds for mine new around 3 years ago.

All the best

Richy

Wildfisher

Swithun,

You could check out Mike’s new “Otter”. 9 foot 4 pc #5 .  I guess that packs down to 2 ? feet which is not bad. ?110 or thereabouts.

Get one to go with your Mallard.  :lol:

www.barrio-fishing-tackle.co.uk

not sure if the site is officially  "live" yet, so check before ordering........

Anyway, you are coming up to the April “na bo / haddo bash”, so you can try out one of Mikes demonstrators them. " You can "try beore you buy"

bluezulu

QuoteThanks Jim: I will try the Barrio rod in April. I think I want something with less section length though. It has to be no questions asked for a plane over head bin.

are you sure you'll be able to take it in the cabin anyway?

i had a little shakesspeare travel rod which was a 6 piece 7 wt , 9'6 ...so about 20 inches long. moderately rubbish rod but served a purpose. pre 9-11 i never had any trouble with it. in fact back then i never had trouble with a 3 piece nine foot rod as cabin luggage...

recently(ish...2003)  i was forbidden from taking even the little 6 piece as cabin luggage on both BA and British midland

the issue was settle conclusively when my wife shut the 6 piece rod in a car door.

bluezulu

the 6 piece i had was extremely stiff so not great for casting a team of flies in my opinion. manageable but not ideal.

the joins were a bit iffy and i found myself casting the top section on a number of occasions.

as said elsewhere i inherited a 4 wt sage from my father- a 5 piece- which has a lovely action and has never come apart while fishing. but cots more than i could ever afford for a rod.

glen morgan

I got one of those Daiwa pro fly travel rods for the wee fella 6 piece 9ft #6, and after seeing it im for one for myself it seems well made, good enough quality and all in all not a bad wee rod for the money,the only problem i can see is that the aluminium reel seat may be a little soft, not had the chance to try it out yet but ill post on how i get on.oh and it fits perfectly into a grolsch 4 can cool tube

Fierybroon

Wychwood have brought out a 5 piece rod that I am considering,a bit pricey at about ?160 which is why I'm still thinking/debating the purchase.The Daiwa rods look good to me but haven't found one yet.The ones on ebay seem to sell quite dearly.Sometimes more than retail,but they do seem hard to get elsewhere.

Fierybroon

There are bargains to be had,as long as you dont get sucked into bidding.Ebay works best for me if I am in no hurry for the item and I will watch several similar and just wait on my luck :)

Fierybroon

I do similar with regards to timing.I also include the price of postage in my max bid.Some of those cheeky(wife doesn't want it)feckers are at it with the price of postage.

Go To Front Page